By Susan Pines, Shy Job Seeker Blog
|Keep up your job search|
in December--Santa may bring
you a new job in January!
Job seekers who slow down their employment search during the holidays miss a great opportunity to be first in the January hiring line. Here are some hints to help even the shyest or most introverted job seeker keep a job hunt alive and well in December:
- Keep applying for jobs and following up. You may be first in the hiring line because competing job seekers took time off.
- Attend a holiday business event. You will network with new people who may be in a helpful holiday spirit.
- Thank people who helped you in your job search during the year. Take them for coffee, and you may gain leads and support that will reinvigorate your search.
- Volunteer. Many charity events at this time of year are one-time commitments. You will be helping others and adding something new to your resume. Perhaps you will learn a new skill.
- Spruce up your self-image. Job searching can be depressing, but don't let it define you. Find ways to improve your self-image through positive people, activities, and books.
- Resolve to learn about active job searching. Join a job club and take job search workshops at your local One-Stop Career Center/American Job Center.
Image courtesy of stockimages / FreeDigitalPhotos.net