Wednesday, February 1, 2017

When to Reject a Potential Employer


How do you feel when an employer contacts you about a job opening for which you’ve applied? Most people experience a variety of emotions, including hope, excitement, and even anxiety. Many job hunters are eager to get hired, so when an employer gets in touch, it is a good sign that the process is moving forward. This is especially true because job seekers usually don't hear back from many employers. 

When to Reject a Potential Employer [Shy Job Seeker Blog]

Sometimes, however, it is the job seeker who backs out of the hiring process. Throughout my career, I have said no to several potential jobs before receiving a job offer and sometimes even before a job interview. Why did I do this? How do you know if you should back out of the hiring process for a particular job? Here are my experiences, which may help you decide whether to continue pursuing a job opening:
  • One employer sent me a full job description before setting up a job interview. After reviewing the six-page job description, I realized the role would involve many tasks I would dread. The job would also involve late nights and weekends. I could have interviewed and learned the extent of these responsibilities, but my gut feeling was I didn’t want to waste my time or the employer’s time when our expectations were so different from the start.
  • During a phone interview, an employer told me the salary for the job. He said there was no wiggle room, no negotiation. It was the final amount. The pay was nowhere near what I expected for my background, my skills, and the job's responsibilities. So I backed out before pursuing the job further.
  • When I interviewed for one job, the supervisor didn’t ask many questions, couldn’t answer my questions, and was disorganized. Although she seemed nice enough, I couldn’t get a handle on the job or exactly what she wanted me to do. I removed myself from consideration because it was a frustrating waste of time.
  • When applying to a blind ad, I knew a job was in my city, but I didn’t know for which company or where it was located. When the employer called, I learned the job was in an industry that didn’t interest me, and it was on the other side of town, which would involve a long commute.


Now some people may think I should have followed through on these job possibilities until receiving an offer or a rejection. But I couldn’t see putting in the time and effort. I said no and focused my energy on finding the right opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment